[meteorite-list] Extra-solar material?

From: Norbert Classen <riffraff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 19:36:08 +0200

Hi Matthias, and All,

You asked:

> isn't presolar extrasolar too, in a certain sense?

Not necessarily, at least not how I understand it. I've read some abstracts
and papers that say, e.g., that not all presolar nano diamonds in Allende,
and other carbonaceous chondrites are considered to be of interstellar or
"extra-solar" origin. So some presolar grains are interstellar, and some or
not. However, interstellar grains found in meteorites should be considered
presolar as they would have to be incorporated into meteorites in the early
days of our own solar nebula. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I found a few abstracts dealing with interstellar grains, i.e., real
"stardust" in primitive meteorites, carbonaceous chondrites, and IDPs
(Interplanetary Dust Particles). Here are three examples that show that some
meteorites contain real stardust, i.e., actual grains of novea, supernovae,
RGB (red giant branch), AGB (asymptotic giant branch), or Wolf-Rayet stars.
So, as I said before, we surely have plenty of "extra-solar"/interstellar
stuff in our collections, but just as microscopically small inclusions:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/510612
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1993Metic..28..490A
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997ApJ...483..475N

Fascinating, isn't it? You will certainly view your Tieschitz, or your Acfer
094 with different eyes now ;-)

All the best,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hi Norbert, list , -

isn't presolar extrasolar too, in a certain sense?

See f.e.: http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Dec02/TagishLake.html

Best,

Matthias