[meteorite-list] Visit to a Small Planet

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Darren and List,
  Thank you Darren for the post.

  It seems to me that NASA should be more involved
with studying and actively chasing meteorites, samples
of different asteroids, here on Earth than worrying
about going after samples of ONE asteroid; much more
could be learned and at a much lower cost.
  NASA should set up a meteorite recovery team that
travels the globe to recover new meteorite falls and
discovery/detection systems that better detect their
entry and fall locations, as well their space
trajectories and origins.
  Orbits could be established and samples of a number
of far away asteroids could be better understood.
  Currently we rely upon private citizens (meteorite
hunters and astronomers) and a few scientists to do
this and their personal budgets are much more limited
and fall location information is often very
hit-and-miss.

  If NASA wants to go somewhere, head to Mars full
speed and don`t wait until 2030, 2050 or later.

  Best Regards, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/07/starsgalaxiesandplanets.spaceexploration