[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts (distribution)

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:04:03 -0600

Most of these explosions were captured during meteor showers. I'd guess
the uneven distribution simply reflects where the imagers were looking
at those times, and possibly the FOV of the imaging systems. Given an
average phase of 50%, you'd expect most of the recorded hits to be
towards the limbs. There is a bias towards the first quarter over the
third quarter, which is probably explained by the fact that more imaging
time was spent before midnight than after.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com