[meteorite-list] Success! The Phoenix has landed safely.

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:37:47 -0500

Hi, Rob, List

    Assuming I've identified rightly which rock you're
talking about, it appears to be a smoothed, egg-shaped
stone (like a river cobble) when you look at it at about
200% of image size.

    This image needs a little processing, well, a lot of
processing. Here it is after a little contrast stretching,
brightening, and just a pinch of the Unscharf Mask to
pop out a little more detail. Darren Garrison has donated
some webspace to post my processed image to:
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/tmp/First_Pictures_Bright.Cont.Unscharf_lg313_phoenix.jpg

    In the raw image, the rock looks a lot like a pixel-defect
rectangle, but processed, it shows another side... or shape.
The camera is pointing almost due north and the Sun is
off to the left and slightly in front of the camera; shadows
are long as it's after five o'clock in the afternoon there.

    I find lots of other interesting features in here. In the
center foreground at the very bottom is a rock that looks
like it has "pushed" a deepening groove into the surface
until it was halted. The groove is really a depression,
because you can see the exaggerated length of the shadow
from the little rock sitting on the sunward end of the
depression as its shadow "falls into" the hole.

    On the horizon, just left of center, is something big
enough to stand out above the flats -- is it a big rock or
a pingo? (I keep waiting for Martian pingoes, because if
there's water or ice under there, you'd think there would be
features like the pingoes in our terrestrial Arctic permafrost.
Maybe it never gets warm enough?)

    You can see from the shading that the many bright
patches are slightly "domed" or heaved up. That's pretty
encouraging if you're looking for water in the soil. There's
lots of linear features running across the landscape, partly
an illusion from the shadows of the "polygons," but many
seem to be shallow grooves or "scratches." Aeolian?
Glacial? Fluvial?

Sterling K. Webb