[meteorite-list] Phoenix Lander and Mars Colors

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

Red is present.
In the terms of light, Yellow is a 50/50 mix of red and green.
So strictly speaking you'd only need colours on your calibration to perform your tests.
A green filter would eliminate red from the yellow. A Red filter would eliminate the green.
I suspect they used blue because pure blue filters are particularly troublesome to produce. Pure red filters are really good. Even pure green filters are good but pure blue filters tend to let a bit of green light through as well so I suspect this is the reason for their choices