[meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:23:48 -0700

Hi Greg-

This thing was, in fact, deliberately discarded with the knowledge that it
would reenter. It posed no risk to anything else because it was large enough
to track, in a known orbit, and was sure to have a short lifetime in space.
It had no potential to produce any additional debris.

This isn't the first thing they scuttled from the ISS.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com