[meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:34:51 -0600

Hi, Greg, Chris, All,

    Ecological impact is likely a true zero. We don't
even know if ANY piece of the tank made it to ground
or not. Odds are against.

    But I want to quibble with this:

> ships are scuttled all the time, along with thousands
> every year that are simply lost at sea.

    The world is not a gigantic video game of utter
destruction. The current "lost" rate is five per thousand
ships. That amounts to about 300 ships a year. And the
term "lost" includes all causes of being removed from
service.

    Most "lost" ships are lost near coasts, on reefs, in
collisions with other ships. They are damaged beyond
the worth of saving and are scraped when they're lifted
off and tugboated to a port. The classic "lost at sea,"
where a ship sets out and vanishes, is unbelievably rare!

    Footnote data:
http://www.imo.org/includes/blastDataOnly.asp/data_id%3D5673/8133.pdf

    Avast, matey!

Sterling K. Webb