[meteorite-list] Impact extinction events accelerate evolution?

From: Steve Dunklee <sdunklee72520_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:57:20 -0800 (PST)

I find it amazing meteorites are relativly rare , yet played such a critical role in our evolution by knocking out the competition. Your respopnse was pretty much what I was thinking myself, and as always well stated.
   When I look at the impact extinction layers at the quarry where I work, and see all the thousands of layers magnetite and other materials .I wonder if it actually represents millions of years from the end of limestone growth from one era to the beginning of growth in the next. If there were any fossil dna present in each layer with common specie. the amount of time from the end of one to the beginning of the next could be determined using the standard accepted mutation rates.
    Dou you know of any amber from the different layers? and have any remnant DNA ever been found in it?

Steve