[meteorite-list] Whitecourt crater

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:43:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone -

36m diameter by 6 meters deep? I wonder what this means in explosive force.
Anyone have the Sikote Ailin numbers at hand?

Speaking of distribution, I suspect that the fragments must have dispersed over a wide area. Again, Sikote Ailin numbers for comparison would be handy.

One puzzling aspect is the impact glasses they mention. I don't remember ever seeing any glasses from SA, so I'm wondering if their airburst hypothesis is correct. Perhaps the glasses they found came from a different impact.

I didn't go that far north in my book, so I'm wondering who was around that area in 880-990 CE.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas