[meteorite-list] ODD sighting... need some input

From: richard rumble <magic2u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:39:45 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

At 6:05 pm PST I was heading out to my car... when I saw TWO bright stars in the sky that have NOT been there previously. Now, I do educational programs for ele. schools with a portable planetarium as well as host star parties for the schools. I am pretty familiar with the night sky, and since I was just out with the telescopes on FRI.. and neither of those two stars were in that location... Im pretty sure that they were not stars.

Both were about the same magnitude as Jupiter... both were just above Fomalhaut.. in about the same locations as 88 and 89 Aquarii. They were stationary and did not move as they faded out, much like a Satellite.. except that both dimmed together and neither moved.

My only two thoughts are perhaps I managed to catch TWO geo-stationary satellites as they slowly rotated and FLASHED me at the same time.... Or TWO stars going supernova at the same time....

Anyone here able to shed some light on this?

Richard Rumble