[meteorite-list] Greek Crater

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:13:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

I first heard about this last year at Christmas, but its been under wraps.

I never gave much thought to the fact that global sea levels were lower before 10,900 BCE, and rose afterwards, in terms of what this meant for the Mediterranean. The big question has always been the opening of the Dardanelles, and the date for the Black Sea flooding, but this changes things...

The big one in the Mediterranean was the impact of a fragment of Encke ca 2,360 BCE that pretty much wiped out man on Malta, in the sense of gone, disappeared, killed, dead, extinct, etc... The RC dates for this catastrophe match with the Mayan date for Rio Cuarto, which matches with the tree ring date, which matches with the RC date, etc...

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas