[meteorite-list] Greek Crater

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:17:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug -

Not being fluent in Mayan, I had to rely on the translations of the hieroglyph scholars.

As for how the Maya knew about the impacts, the fragments were visible for a long time, they watched them come in, and the resulting ecological collapse was catastrophic. Everyone who survived talked about it afterwards, and I have little doubt that the Maya, "Olmec", and others dispatched "researchers" to the impact site.

When are you going to get out your magnifying glass and read your copy
of "Man and Impact in the Americas"?

good hunting,
Ed