[meteorite-list] Rio Cuarto impacts

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:02:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug,

Boy, given my stroke, and the difficulty in typing, this is really frustrating. If you can't find your copy of "Man and Impact in the Americas" from Tucson, then I'll sell you a replacement at the low price. I can't retype the whole thing as messages to the list.

(And thanks for you help as a guide during Tucson. I still think the meteorite dealers need to get together and buy the "No-Tell Motel" for use as headquarters during the show. It seems that the markets have been running at 1/10 speed during the panic, but this will change.)

You've been up in the moraine, and those folks there today are different from the classic Maya of the lowlands; at the time of the Rio Cuarto impacts there were different people yet down along the Gulf coast. The classic Maya were in Guatemala then.

Man in the Americas was ocean going, and you can read about their boats and trade in my book. They were used to long range traders.

For the folks in the moraine, they have hurricane, earthquake, and impact as forces in their pantheon, and they remember multiple "creations" each one separated by an impact event. The impact hazard is that bad.

(PS - a lot of classic Mayan hieroglyphic books survived in transliterations to the European alphabet.)

About every couple weeks you'll see a newspaper report here on the meteorite list where the locals saw a bollide and thought the world was coming to an end or that World War 3 had started. Well, for Rio Cuarto, the fragments came in close to the horizon, and the light (infra-red) thrown off was awesome. The sound of the impacts would have carried thousands of miles. But it was the climate collapse in the dirty rain that followed that everyone remembered, the muddy floods.

I hope your meteorite hunting expedition went well. Maybe on another one of them you'll run into a day counter or spiritual guide, so please read my book so that you'll be able to understand what he tries to tell you.

Ed

Classic Maya knew the

If you assemble the evidence and no one looks at it, then