[meteorite-list] AD : Trinitite - Atomite --Correction

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:14:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Elton and group,

I stand corrected. And I am glad you chimed in to clarify the differences between tektite and trinitite
formation. Admittedly, I focus most of my learning on meteorites and tektites/impactites have been
a secondary consideration. My comparison of trinitite to "tektites" was based on some visual comparisons
between samples of Edeowie Glass and trinitite. Both share some general similarities in appearance. And
that makes me wonder if Edeowie Glass was formed in-situ like trinitite, as Elton described. If so, then
I guess a better (but still invalid) comparison for me to make would be trinitite as an "impactite".

Again, my knowledge of tektites and impactites is sorely lacking, so Elton or anyone else feel free to
jump in and school me here. At any rate, I'll forgo any future comparisons between tektites and trinitite,
because I don't want to be treading into areas where I have no expertise to justify my statements.

Consider me happily and humbly schooled. ;)

I'd love to visit the Trinity site and when I head out that way eventually, I'll plan the trip around
the dates that the site is open to the public. :)

BTW, my thanks to everyone who responded to my ad for trinitite lots. I sold out of everything I had,
and I bought some more from my source. I now have another 500 gram lot coming to me and I will
sell smaller lots to interested buyers. :)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale