[meteorite-list] Largest Fall

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:51:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

At a certain size you don't get large fragments, but instead end up with spherules. A list of the very ancient impacts ancient man witnessed but from which we have no traditions is given in Chapter 2 of my book, Man and Impact in the Americas.

Over the last 13,000 years most impacts were cometary, and so far no larger pieces have been recovered, though the search for crater(s) is on.

Since the recovery of the radio carbon dates for Campo de Cielo, it can be identified in the Maya hieroglyphic records from Palenque. The fall date was 17 February, 2325 BCE (Man and Impact in the Americas, page 97).

For Brenham, it appears that besides the main mass there was a related small iron shower in the east which the Five Nations remembered (Man and Impact in the Americas, page 354).

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas