[meteorite-list] Meteoroid burned up before impact on Mars

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:15:27 -0600

I doubt if any meteorite impacts (in the usual sense) cause fires. There's
simply no mechanism by which meteorites can be particularly hot. Of course,
if a meteoroid hits while still carrying some of its original velocity, a
lot of energy can be released. But such an event is extremely rare. One in
millions at least.

Even assuming the explanation for the pattern on Mars is correct (which
seems far from certain), it's clear that this sort of thing is very rare. On
Earth, with its much denser atmosphere, it should be rarer still.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com