[meteorite-list] 2008 TC3: ! in 5 hours a few meter meteoroid will strike the Earth over Sudan !

From: Thomas Kurtz <Thomas.Kurtz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 21:28:36 +0200

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Hello meteorite friends,

it will be very spectacular in some few hours.
I hope NASA has already sent some measuring aeroplanes and will watch with satellites.
Ron Baalke, can we organize that quickly ?
Did anybody informed the military in Sudan ?

A year ago, looking at the quantity of the quick discovering of some few meter meteoroids, I asked the list, when we can expect a predicted meteorite fall.
I asked several asteroid hunters, but they had no idea to estimate that.
I guessed less then 20 years, but I had no idea that it will be soon !

Who booked already a ticket to Sudan ? ;-)

ASTEROID 2008 TC3: A small, newly-discovered asteroid named 2008 TC3 is approaching Earth and chances are good that it will hit. Steve Chesley of JPL estimates that atmospheric entry will occur on Oct 7th at 0246 UTC over northern Sudan [ref]. Measuring only a few meters across, the space rock poses no threat to the ground, but it should create a spectacular fireball, releasing about a kiloton of energy as it disintegrates and explodes in the atmosphere. Stay tuned for updates. [ephemeris] [3D orbit]

With best wishes, especially for those who are able to look at the show !

Thomas Kurtz from Ries-meteorite crater, Germany.

--
GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spa? haben mit Pastry Passion!