[meteorite-list] Bolide to enter over northern Sudan in less than 8 hours

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 06 Oct 2008 19:56:40 UT

Hi Rob, Sterling and List,

Rob wrote:

"I calculate the size to be at least 3 meters, possibly as much as 4.5
 meters, so I'd be quite surprised if no meteorites were produced."

1) The St. Robert H5 chondrite had a preatmospheric radius between 40 and
ca. 60 cm and a mass of 1000 to ca. 3000 kg comparable to the Knyahinya
L chondrite.

2) The Torino H6 chondrite had a preatmospheric radius of 20 cm, corresponding to
a mass of 120 kg. A number of stones totalling about 1 kg in weight were recovered.

3) Peekskill had a preatmospheric radius of ~50 cm.

4) For Jilin, Klein et al. obtained these lower and upper limits for the preatmospheric
size of the body: lower limit => 54 cm / upper limit => 135 cm. Heusser and Pellas
estimated that its pre-atmospheric radius was 85 cm.