[meteorite-list] Asteroid 2008 TC3 Fireball Observed from Airliner

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:07:53 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Space Weather News
October 7, 2008

ASTEROID IMPACT: Asteroid 2008 TC3 hit Earth this
morning (Oct. 7th at 0243 UT), exploding in the atmosphere over northern
Sudan like a kiloton of TNT. Most of the 3-meter-wide asteroid should
have been vaporized in the atmosphere with only small pieces reaching
the ground as meteorites. So far, no pictures of the fireball have been
submitted; the impact occured in a remote area with few (and possibly
no) onlookers capable of recording the event. Nevertheless, the asteroid
did strike Earth as predicted.

This confirming report comes from Jacob Kuiper
<mailto:jacobkuiper at solcon.nl>, General Aviation meteorologist at the
National Weather Service in the Netherlands: "Half an hour before the
predicted impact of asteroid 2008 TC3, I informed an official of
Air-France-KLM at Amsterdam airport about the possibility that crews of
their airliners in the vicinity of impact would have a chance to see a
fireball. And it was a success! I have received confirmation that a KLM
airliner, roughly 750 nautical miles southwest of the predicted
atmospheric impact position, has observed a short flash just before the
expected impact time 0246 UTC. Because of the distance it was not a very
large phenomenon, but still a confirmation that some bright meteor has
been seen in the predicted direction. Projected on an infrared
satellite-image
<http://spaceweather.com/submissions/pics/j/Jacob-Kuiper-0810070300zmet7IRposplane_1223352768.jpg>
of Meteosat-7 of 0300 UTC, I have indicated the position of the plane
(+) and the predicted impact area in Sudan (0)."

2008 TC3 was discovered on Oct. 6th by astronomers using the Mt. Lemmon
telescope in Arizona as part of the NASA-funded Catalina Sky Survey for
near-Earth objects. Asteroids the size of 2008 TC3 hit Earth every few
months, but this is the first time one has been discovered before it hit.