[meteorite-list] A point of contention/question

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 04:39:26 -0700 (MST)

Hello Pete:

Yes, the Earth shoulc look like Mars or Mercury (or the Moon for that
matter).

However, you are on the right track.

I am sure that Sterling will respond with more detailed comments, but here
are a few of the things that affect what we see:

1. Atmosphere: as in the case of the recent impact on Earth (2008 TC3)
"small" things do not make it to the surface.

2. Atmosphere (wind and water): weathering will wear away, fill in
craters. Just look at what it does to mountain ranges over millions of
years.

3. Plate tectonics: very few old surfaces on the Earth. Lava could cover
the craters, plates move and land goes away or is messed up when plates
meet, etc.

4. An object could land in the water, never to be "seen."

I am sure there are other things, but this is a good start on why the
Earth does not look like the other terrestrial planets or the Moon (Venus
being much closer to Earth thanks to its atmosphere and having been
resurfaced).

Larry