[meteorite-list] OT: INTERSTELLAR DIPLOMACY and Hello

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:37:31 -0700 (MST)

Hi all:

The mass of Gliese 581c was determined by its gravitational pull on its
star. This was how it was detected. So, the mass is known. The next thing
to do is to guess its composition. If it is made of Earth-like rock, then
its radius is the cube root of the mass (mass goes as radius cubed), so
1.5 times the radius of the Earth. If you do the calculation, the gravity
would also be 1.5 times Earth (not too bad). If it is an icy world (not
sure if this makes sense given its distance from the star), then the
planet has to be bigger for the same mass and the surface gravity drops to
maybe only 1.2 or 1.3 times that of Earth.

This is the kind of thing I do with my students for gravity on other
worlds. Assuming that a planet is made up of about the same stuff: double
the radius, the mass is eight times as much (volume and mass are
prooportional to the radius cubed). However, since you are on the surface,
you are twice as far from the center of mass. Gravitational pull goes as
1/radius squared, so decreases the pull by 4 times. So 1/4 times 8 = 2
times gravity for two times radius (gravity is proportional to the radius
for objects made of the same material).

Larry