[meteorite-list] Meteorite Crater Mining Company Letter, Telegram from 1921, Telegram directing tunnel to retrive stuck drill / Photo Part 2

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:20:08 -0600

Hi Sonny & list

Just want to make a small note/correction. What the documents you are
holding belonged to the Crater Mining Company. They were brought in by
DM Barringer to find the elusive pot o' iron that he was unsuccessful
in finding. His original company was called Standard Iron Company. It
was this company that did much of the early work on the crater. He
drilled several holes at the bottom of the crater in 1906, 1907, and
1908. This drilling put him low on funds. He tried for the next few
years to raise more money to drill but was largely unsuccessful.
Finally he convinced U S Smelting Refining and Mining Company to
attempt drilling. They formed the "Crater Mining Company" which issued
stocks back to the parent company. He signed a lease with them
sometime around 1920. They drilled the infamous hole on the top of the
rim where the drill bit kept getting stuck. Unfortunately they had
even more problems drilling than did Barringer and left in 1924.
Here is an example of one of these "Crater Mining Company" stocks
http://jensenmeteorites.com/Albin.htm

It was shortly after this time Barringer started the "Meteor Crater
Mining and Exploration Company". Most everybody should be familiar
with the blue and orange stock certificates. These were actually sold
together. He died Nov. 30, 1929 (just a month after the stock market
crash). It seems that soon after this his son Brandon shut the mining
operation down and started to concentrate on turning it into a tourist
destination at least based on several of the brochures I have from
this period.

Mike

Mike Jensen Meteorites
16730 E Ada PL