[meteorite-list] South Pole Meteorite - ALH761 a.k.a. ALHA76001

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:00:31 -0600

Hi Jeff and list
 you wrote
"Some of these pieces "went missing" after they were
> brought back from the field."

According to Cassidy "Meteorites, Ice and Antarctica A personal Account"

p 36-37

In Jan 18, 1977 they recovered 34 fragments with a total weight of 407
kg of ALHA76001.

"With the resounding success of our first field season, it became easy
to justify further work. But success can breed problems, and we had
our share. Word spread through the small community at McMurdo, and
when we had packed our specimen boxes, nailed them shut, addressed
them and strapped them for shipment, they were easy to identify as
ours. And anyone could know they contained meteorites. Who would not
want this kind of souvenir from Antarctica? So it was that after we
had left for home someone broke into one of the Japanese boxes and
removed a number of pieces of the 407 kg meteorite. These apparently
were distributed into several willing hands..."
"Months later, a principal investigator saw a meteorite fragment on
his assistant's shelf. The assistant readily admitted it was an
antarctic meteorite and claimed to have walked in on the looting of
the box by several people he did not know. This is the only one of the
missing fragments we have ever recovered."

--
Mike
Mike Jensen Meteorites