[meteorite-list] Acfer breccia - provisional classification results

From: Rob Lenssen <rlenssen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:35:19 +0200

Hi List,

In January 2007, I posted a link (
http://home.planet.nl/~rlenssen/Acfer500g.htm ), pointing to some pictures
of an odd looking meteorite, asking for comments.
This request resulted - via List member Frederic Beroud - in a contact with
Jerome Gattacceca from CEREGE in France, who conducted magnetic
susceptibility measurements, and kindly offered to help to have it
classified.

Today I received (provisional) classification results, and want to share
them with you:

Provisional results by: M. Denise (MNHN)/J. Gattacceca (CEREGE)
breccia LL6-L4
shock stage S2-S4 (S2 for the LL lithology and S4 for the L lithology)
W1

Microprobe analysis (LL-L lithology)
Fayalite 31.5?0.6-25.5?0.5
Fs 26.5?0.4-22.2?0.3

So, it turned out to be an LL6-L4 breccia!
I wonder how rare this kind of breccia is, and especially if such a breccia
has special scientific value, above ""just" a mix of LL6 and L4 material".
Does anybody know an answer to this?

Kind regards,
Rob Lenssen
The Netherlands