[meteorite-list] ESAs artificial meteorite probes panspermia

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:59:54 -0500

Mike, List,

The publication you almost remember is:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19960027473_1996032004.pdf

And there is a C. Floss published in it, but the author you
are thinking of is Monica Grady of NHM, London:

    "It seems likely, though, that meteorite curators
through the ages, having been presented with a
fossiliferous sedimentary rock, would probably not
have been able to assess the true nature of such
a terrestrial meteorite (notwithstanding the
protestations of the owner). How many of these
types of sample have been returned to sender?
More pertinently perhaps, how many such samples
are still preserved in traditional collections?"

    This was in 1996. Whether anybody looked
in their old drawers, boxes, and shelves... who
knows?

    I cited this in a pair of posts on sedimentary
meteorites on May 30 and 31, 2008, along with
a lot of other references to "possible" sedimentary
meteorites. You can find it in the List Archives,
in the thread "Just Another Question."

Sterling K. Webb