[meteorite-list] Fireballs From The Sky: Bombarded

From: rocks at projectargus.com <rocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:03:24 -0400

I never said there was only 1 bolide event per month. I said there was
roughly 1 confirmed meteorite event per month. I don't know much about
bolide stats, so I should leave this discussion to the experts. I was just
pointing out that we haven't had an unreasonably high number of meteorite
falls. Yes, it has been a good meteorite fall rate - but still within
normal range, as far as I can tell. (And yes, I think the "normal range" is
slowly increasing each year due to the effects I mentioned...)

You wrote: "to a great extend this increase can be due to the reasons you
mention (more people having internet, higher meteor popularity etc), but can
you prove that ALL the increase can be attributed to that?"

Unfortunately, this is difficult to measure. However, I'd say the burden of
proof lies with those proposing that we are travelling through a debris
field. You make some very good points, and I will have to give this some
thought. The all sky survey data you mention is very interesting!

--Noah