[meteorite-list] Steve of Chicago final message

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 01:38:01 -0700 (PDT)

This is not the post anyone is expecting and it addresses everyone so please read to the end. As I am the originator of the thread this is for all: from the pacifist who were not privy to Steve's of Illinois complete meteorite dealings and for the others that experienced them personally: those who may have purchased/received from him and got what was promised/paid for but not received from him/paid for but didn't get what they paid from him, etc.--for all those that wanted to get along rather than deal with the gritty ethics, for those who so passionately defended everyone's right regardless of any other factor, for those kind souls who made the case again and again for moderation by all sides, for those who were aggravated beyond speakable words at certain acts and, those that found the situation inconsistent with a hobby based on living by one's word... I have an announcement from Steve in Illinois for everyone and I somberly offer it.

Steve has sent word that he is gone from the list-unsubscribed as of this evening and out of the meteorite business. He prefers to neither send or receive anymore emails. He says he is keeping his word to leave. His web-page no longer list meteorites for sale. For anyone to try to erase all the evidence of their history on the internet is futile as that history remains in cached pages from here to China. Steve's business or non business will be between him and the legal world and further discussion about him on this list is moot. Ebay sales remain "caveat emptor".

I am told that those who met Steve in person found in him possessing an off beat charisma, not unlikeable but always within a sympathy inducing presence. In person; a gentle giant. Steve was possessed by a drive that always seemed to steer him in a way opposite from what he wanted--from what we wanted too. I admire Steve's meteorite display cabinet in his home, how each specimen was treated with admiration and suitable display setting and that his passion was borne out in development of a great and sometime humorous web presence. His meteorites were special and not just tossed into dark drawer. For Steve's pain I truly feel for his loss. He and I share more in common than most know.

As much as I empathize with his personal struggles there was the dilemma I felt in the sense of being wronged by the darker side Steve allowed into his life and those that had their collections cheated. It is not easy to adjudicate between the two options of Steve being gone versus being here and dealing unethically with his peers; a problem he was never able to reconcile. While it seemed a case of resign or face an eventual ouster because of the path he walked, Steve did an honorable thing and I know it was done in great personal pain. I wish there had been an effective workable common ground between the two options but twas not to be. In honor to Art he has been one of the fairest souls I have ever known and possessing the patience of the Job of old testament lore.

What remains that I need to reiterate is that leaving the list when the heat is up has been a ploy in the past. I'll have to cautiously accept that Steve's announcement is true and "final" for a time being. This doesn't mean any legal woes are over but they are no longer on topic here. As far as I believe, this is fair and beneficial for all involved.

In that he has resigned, I believe this merits being the final list post on the episode-- no matter what your feelings or passions please respect Steve's and my own wishes.

Respectfully,
Elton