[meteorite-list] meteorite news -2 arrested update (Dude-- Where's My Car edition)

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:43:05 -0500

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:48:01 +0000, you wrote:

>I'd hate to break down next to this lady's farm.
>I can imagine being arrested while walking to
>her house to ask if I could call a tow truck!

Read this last paragraph from the article I posted:

"Would-be criminals should probably take heed. Last October, the same homeowner,
at age 66, held two burglars face-down in the dirt with her pistol while she
waited for deputies to come arrest them."

So this is an elderly(ish) person, who knows the state of her health, who knows
if she lives alone, who has faced what apparently is an ongoing problem of
poachers hunting on her land (read as, strangers coming on to her land and
shooting guns) and there were camouflage clothes found in the car. If she had
killed both of them on sight, not only would she likely not have been charged,
she would probably been given positive news coverage for being able to defend
herself at her age and (sorry, ladies) sex. If she could have held a half-way
straight face while claiming that you thought you were defending yourself, she
probably would have been in the clear.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/second-amendment-gun-legislation-discussion/8245-georgia-house-passes-castle-doctrine-statute.html

A good rule of thumb about trespassing on someone else's property is to assume
you will be shot until you learn otherwise.