[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics - west

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:07:30 -0700

Hola Adam, All,
But that was the problem with West.
The atmosphere was positively toxic when we went because farmers and
landowners who had been paid $1/g for their stones saw them going on
ebay a few days later for $100/g. There was a great deal of land that
hadn't been searched and hadn't been ploughed. And, thanks to the
antics of whoever decided to tell them that $1/g was fair for their
meteorites, that land will likely never be hunted, the meteorites lost
for good.
We spoke to several landowners, and always got the same response -
well, words ranged from "No thanks," to "Hell no," to "Not
interested," but the net result was the same. We needed only to
mention the fact that we were looking for meteorites (and many of them
guessed it before we even stated our business), and it was an
immediate cold shoulder. We offered more, we tried to convince them -
they probably wouldn't have taken $1000/g for anything we found, not
that we offered as much. They simply weren't interested in hearing
us out.
Which makes me wonder about the morality of dealers who would
criticize one of their own for offering $10 or $20/g for a large stone
from such a fall. When their profit margin is extremely high (after
calculating the cost of our trip, we paid $12/g for the West stones
that we found on public land - compare to the clinically insane
selling prices of $50-100/g), do they really have a right to question
what someone's offer of $10 or $20,000 for 1kg will do to the chance
of more being found?
Maybe if they themselves were willing to pay a reasonable price for
them....but they really can't blame someone willing to offer a
meteorite's worth. If they were willing to pay it, it wouldn't
be/have been an issue.
Jason