[meteorite-list] Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:50:40 EDT

>>There are a few things left out of the report.

Duration of the event, distance from his location, angle of decent,
speed and azimuth. If the guy witnessed the entire event from beginning
to end and the fireball was very far away at first sighting, that
explains why he may not have heard the boom. It could be that it reached
the retardation point long before coming close to him. The whistling
noise reported is also intriguing.

The report does NOT state that the ball of fire hit the water. Only that
he witnessed a ball of fire.

EXCERPT:

"The shape of it, it was just too perfect to be a piece of junk. It
looked just like a miniature comet, pretty much," he said. "It was
really, really white with blue flames. It was pretty wild."<<

Well...if it reached the point of retardation while he was observing it. and
unless this thing was way huge, I kinda doubt he would be able to keep sight
of it during several minutes of "dark flight" and driving at the same time.
>From the write up, he does mention that it appeared "really, really white
with blue flames." and also said it looked like "a miniature comet." With these
statements, I get the impression he claims to have watched it hit the water
while its still glowing.
GeoZay

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or