[meteorite-list] Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:50:24 -0700 (PDT)

Not adding an opinion but just about observation consistency.
Four points and a question:
1. Once again we are dealing with a reporter--which is a class of individuals that consistently scramble eye-witness interviews.

2. His location was very close to the Doppler echo end track.

3. Owing to how a sonic boom propagates to the side and rear of the hypersonic missile, if you are near dead front of objects path you tend to only get echoes from gound reflections unlsee the object is still super sonic when passing your location --ask any one that has been shot at by a super sonic round. One may hear the bullet thump but don't hear the the sonic signature that nearby folks usually do. Thus the old adage about not hearing the shot that hits you.

4. Whistling, roaring, buzzing, or wap-wap sounds--( unlike those of a sonic boom, bolide, or explosion,) are often reported by observers near where a meteorite drops.

How fortunate the tidewaters are warming up and we have some scuba divers on the list.

Q: Now this was a retrograde meteor correct? Retrograde is contra earth's rotation and prograde is with the direction of rotation? Simple I know but I am in an argument with myself and need a referee.

Elton