[meteorite-list] Meteorite Men - Science Channel

From: Carl 's <carloselguapo1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 03:16:50 -0700

Hello,

I've found some info regarding this show. Also I've contacted discoverycomunications.com if this show will be airing on any of the other channels (Discovery, History or Travel) in the near future. I will let you know if I receive a reply. In the meantime, maybe others on this list can contact them for requests. Might help if some of you just have basic cable and does not receive the Science Channel like myself.

Carl

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20090331science01

SCIENCE CHANNEL'S METEORITE MEN TAKES VIEWERS ON QUEST FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL TREASURE
Released by Science Channel

-- New One-Hour Special World Premieres Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 9 PM (ET/PT) --

(Silver Spring, Md.) For thousands of years meteorites have
slammed into the earth's surface, each one carrying an invaluable
record of the very beginnings of the solar system. But finding
meteorites, some buried over centuries by thick layers of dirt and
sediment, is no easy task. Now, Science Channel is bringing viewers on
a search for these alien treasures and revealing these lost pieces of
our universe for the first time in METEORITE MEN, world premiering
Sunday, May 10 at 9 PM (ET/PT). Modern day treasure hunters Geoff Notkin and Steve Arnold have travelled the world for years to search as a team for remnants of ancient meteorites. In METEORITE MEN, viewers find the pair in Brenham,Kansas where for more than a century pieces of a large meteorite that fell thousands of years ago have been unearthed. The farm fields of this area in Kansas are known in the business of meteorite hunting as strewn fields, because the meteor literally breaks into pieces upon entry into the earth's atmosphere and scatters across a very large region. It is a holy ground for anyone searching for meteorites. More have fallen in this area (per square mile) than anywhere in the United States. Using advanced metal
detection equipment Arnold and Notkin work tirelessly to find the
meteorite pieces that have yet to be discovered. When successful, the
team donates a portion of every find to science. Steve Arnold is a professional meteorite hunter and entrepreneur. Since 1992 Arnold has made a career of selling, trading,and brokering meteorites, and worked with many prominent museum curators, scientists and private collectors to help them enhance meteorite collections. Over the years his dedication to making new
discoveries has helped further the study of meteoritics. While
exploring a wheat field in Kiowa County, Kansas, Arnold unearthed a
1,430-pound Brenham meteorite that is the largest oriented pallasite
ever found. Although most of his meteorite hunting and recovery
expeditions have taken place within the United States, his passion for
adventure has taken him to Oman, Chile, London, Paris, Argentina and
Peru. Geoff Notkin is a professional meteorite hunter, science
writer and photographer. He has traveled to more than 40 countries and
some of the world's most remote locations including Chile's Atacama
Desert, Iceland, England, Mexico and the Middle East in search of
elusive and valuable space rocks. He has authored more than 60
published articles on meteoritics, paleontology, adventure travel,
history and the arts and is currently at work on a memoir about his
life as a meteorite hunter. METEORITE MEN is produced for Science Channel by LMNO Cable Group. Eric Schotz and Ruth Rivin are executive producers for LMNO Cable Group and John Grassie is executive producer for Science Channel.
About Science Channel Science Channel is broadcast 24 hours a day and seven days a week to more than 56 million U.S. homes and simulcast on Science
Channel HD. We immerse viewers in the incredible possibilities of
science, from string theory and futuristic cities to accidental
discoveries and outrageous inventions. We take things apart, peer
inside and put things together in new and unexpected ways. We celebrate
the trials, errors and brinking moments that change our lives forever.
To find out more go to www.sciencechannel.com About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the
world's number one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5
billion cumulative subscribers in 170 countries. Discovery empowers
people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity through
100-plus worldwide networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal
Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery and HD
Theater, as well as leading consumer and educational products and
services, and a diversified portfolio of digital media services
including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit
www.discoverycommunications.com.