[meteorite-list] Oh, The Stories They Tell....

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:51:11 EDT

>>But what about the little girl. Is she lying too? Or was she there?>>

I have little doubt that the man and little girl saw either the bright
meteor in the sky at some point or was responding to their surroundings being lit
up by it. It doesn't take a very bright fireball to produce shadows on the
ground. I know I've seen shadows produced by at least a -6 fireball and if I
was really looking for it, I probably would have noticed shadows for meteors a
magnitude or two dimmer. In the reports that I've read, the little girl was
simply quoted as saying something like, "What was that?" All the other stuff
came from the man. I'm convinced the man either intentionally or unknowingly
embellish his story. I think if this thing hit the water while still
incandescent, the big story might be something like, "Did you see that big splash?"
or " Traffic Stalled Due to Damage To a Bridge". :O) If anybody has any
plans to look for meteorites based on what this man said, I'd highly recommend
you save your money for the next time when the stories make sense. This event
has a real good chance to drop a meteorite somewhere...probably in the
ocean, but not between these two bridges.
GeoZay

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or