[meteorite-list] US States & Fed Govt Laws regarding prospecting, hiking, ...

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 11:00:12 EDT

>>And besides, how many meteorite hunters would come crawling out of the
woodworks and crowd the desert looking for irons around the crater? I
seriously doubt people are knocking down the doors to get out into the
desert and walk around for hours under the pummeling sun looking for
pieces for rust. There are only so many of us crazy enough to find
that idea enticing. <<

Over time, you never know how many folks will become instant or weekend
Meteorite hunting experts. If dealers/sellers have no qualms about dicing and
slicing meteorites into tiny jiblets just so they can be sold, what is there to
stop them from getting aggressive out around and inside the crater if they
were allowed to hunt? The general public now sees meteorites as something with
value. That impression has been planted by dealers and collectors over the
years no doubt. So they will most likely hunt the known meteorite mother lode
areas and one of the best well known areas would be Meteor Crater.

>> I'd doubt we'd see another situation like the one
in our biggest national parks where people are lined up 20 deep by the
hundreds every day to watch a geyser erupt.<<

True...but you are standing on a wooden platform and no one is allowed to
chip off pieces of the geyser.
GeoZay

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or