[meteorite-list] Questions about accretion.

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:17:00 -0700

Hi all,

I love asking questions because I learn cool stuff! ;) How bout these...

How long does the formation of meteoroid bodies and larger asteroids take?

How does the iron migrate to the core?

Do all "large" asteroids consist of an iron core surrounded by lighter
materials further towards the asteroids surface?

I understand the basic process of accretion, however I'm still a bit
perplexed as to how the iron condenses into such a solid structure at a
large asteroids center. Is this due in part to impacts with other
meteoroidal (is that a word?) and asteroidal bodies, compacting the
mineral structures into denser and denser materials toward the core?

I'm familiar with how much force an impact can have when two larger
bodies collide. But maybe I'm going in the wrong direction with this. If
a meteoroid is a small part of a larger asteroid, wouldn't all asteroids
once have been meteoroids by definition during their formation within
solar nebulae?

--
Regards,
Eric Wichman