[meteorite-list] Sorry all. Multi-tasking has its drawbacks

From: Julie Brown <Vortex_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:43:00 -0400

Hello Eric and Meteorite List,

Robert Matson makes a key point on this question: How does the iron migrate
to the core?

"Through the combination of porosity, heat and gravity. If you start
with a glass of finely crushed ice and let it melt, the water doesn't
stay put in the ice matrix -- it settles to the bottom (since water
is denser than ice)."

This establishes the hole in the dyck. However, at the atomic level of
minerals in a spinning motion, accretion is a natural result, as the motion
of the bodies pull particles in a spiral 'wake' after them adding either to
a larger, grabby neighbor, or themselves if close to a Kirkwood Gap, for
example. Several points need consideration:

1. Centripetal force (inward) plays a role since we are dealing with objects
in motion, both rotating and revolving....each asteroid in it's own orbit,
( we are dealing with celestial mechanics in a chaotic area of our Solar
System),
these objects, specifically relating to iron, move in an orbit producing a
net force acting towards the center which causes the object to seek the
center.

2. The scientific consensus seems to be that the Yarkovsky Effect, by
heating the asteroids in the presence of the sun and cooling them in it's
absence, accounts for the differentiation and location of the various
asteroid types in the belt according to composition.

3 Understanding the 'transcient' nature of minerals due to heat (mentioned
by Robert) and pressure, not so much gravity directly. Two minerals can
have the exact molecular structure and, based on their respective
circumstances, heat, pressure, cooling time, result in two completely
different minerals. (Until exposed to other dynamic processes, e. g.,
simple increase in pressure with accretion of cosmic particles over time,
changes in angular momentum, etc. of these unevenly balanced creatures
account for some weird dynamics in this wild bunch.

Not an expert,

Someone please chime in,

Thanks for your indulgence,

Julie