[meteorite-list] Wierd Meteorite Wrong Question?

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:19:47 -0700 (PDT)

Adam:

From your picks I would say one of three possibilities, although remember nothing is for sure from the photos on the web. I really need to view specimens with a hand lens.

Poor grade jasper ? I have found this everywhere. They can be magnetic if it contains hematite and iron oxides. Although the contraction cracks are not very common in the jasper I have found. A hardness test will verify this ? Jasper is hardness 7.

I fine grained quartzite with desert varnish ? I have found these to. They look igneous to me. Some are gray, reddish or brown- the grains can very fine. I have found some very dark. They are usually not magnetic. If you look with a hand lens you can see very small grains with a darker coating on them. And as always ? look for any sign of quartz.

I siliceous mudstone ? This stuff I have found and been fooled; have even sent samples to UCLA. The color looks very much like a weathered chondrite. They sometimes are weakly magnetic, but tent to be not as dense as a stony meteorite. When cut, they have swirls inside and look very similar to the Jasper or a reddish basalt, but are softer. I friend of mine calls them ?siliceous ooze.? I believe they are formed in an ancient mud settled in a shallow ocean.

In the Mojave Desert I have found many rocks with all variations of ?Desert Varnish,? some coatings on rocks of from bacteria; they can be very tricky, but I keep every one and take it home as you never know.

In your specimen the contraction cracks and high density are good and the fact there was nothing similar is a good sign.

Looks like you have to cut it to make sure.

Greg Stanley
Bakersfield