[meteorite-list] Wierd Meteorite Wrong Question?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:41:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for all of the replies. I was sure it was not a meteorite, just hoping since it got my heart rate up when we stumbled upon it. It caused one of the team members to say "you lucky b_stard" when I pointed it out in situ. I did not take any field pictures of it since I wasn't convinced it was a meteorite. I determined this once I got down on all fours and looked at it close.

I tried the streak test, came out faint chalky white, not black or red. I forgot all about the acid test to see if it bubbled. I am out of nitric acid since I moved and did not want to pack this noxious chemical along, especially after the bad experience I had several years ago with some hippies "magic cleaning solution" that I bought in Denver after looking at his spotless specimens.

I did not provide the sample that another Adam was given credit for on Randy's site. By the way, this is the best meteorwrong site I have looked at. Usually, I am concerned with the real thing but find terrestrial rocks to be fascinating as well.

Best Regards,

Adam