[meteorite-list] Is this an ethical way to treat a meteorite?

From: Bill Hall <meteoritics_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:50:57 -0700

Hello list,
               I have an assortment of "OLD" Campos I purchased from a
guy who lives in a very humid climate. When I received them, they were
extremely rusty, and big flakes of rust falling off every time I would
even look sideways at them. I debated with trying the galvanic
cleansing, wire brushing, shot peening, acid baths, etc. etc. or just
slicing them up, and grinding off the crusty edges. In fact I have
done all of these things to test pieces, with less than miraculous
results. It was, and still is my personal belief that if the rust can
be removed ENTIRELY, and Either soak them in trans fluid, or carnuba
spray wax, that they will stabilize. In fact it appears I may have
done so, but with some interesting side affects. I know many meteorite
enthusiasts are against changing the natural appearance of a
meteorite, with good reason, However considering the circumstances and
possible repercussions of doing nothing at all I have transformed an
old Campo.

This process removes ALL rust, leaves small splotches of shiny fusion
crust ( at least it sure appears to be ) and provides nice polish. It
also appears to have stopped all further oxidation, and no sign of
laurencite disease. I am not able to perform this process without the
final polish, so I get stuck with a shiny meteorite. I have seen
people go another step to remove the shine, I just kind of like it for
now....

And on another note: As Joe Dirt said to Kickin wing, "Well that might
be your problem, its not what you like, its the consumer". I have
shown rusty irons to people who scowl, and exclaim "why do you think
its a meteorite!" But when I show them a polished Iron their faces
light up in utter amazement, and will often offer $1 gram or more for
them...........Just something to consider.

Please check out the photos on photo bucket, and let me know your
honest opinions. If the consensus is that this is an EVIL thing to do
to a meteorite I will surly take it into consideration. No doubt it
will make some frown, and give some hope to others.

                             Bill Hall

http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/meteoritepictures/