[meteorite-list] Is this an ethical way to treat a meteorite?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:23:12 -0500

Hi Bill and list!

Note - this is my opinion only. Others' mileage may vary.

(yes, I took a deep breath before posting this.) ....... ;)

I think this treatment, used on specimens such as these is 100%
ethical and serves a purpose.

1) Campo has a massive TKW - there is no shortage of it.

2) Campo has little scientific interest at this point in history.

3) Campo is a good "commercial" meteorite - cheap, plentiful, and
available at low cost to collectors. A big, cheap, shiny, Campo iron
is a defacto outreach tool - it generates interest and may encourage
new collectors.

Taking a rusty, unstable specimen and treating it in this way is a
measure of preservation - it serves a useful purpose, which is to halt
oxidation and restore the meteorite to an unoxidized state.

IMO, treatment of a meteorite becomes undesirable and unethical when
it changes the natural appearance or state of the specimen to look
artificial or obviously altered in some man-made way. This includes,
but is not limited to, gold-plating slices for sale, some meteorite
jewelry, or fashioning trinkets or baubles that portray a "cheapened"
image of meteorites. Aesthetics and ethics will always do a chaotic
dance around each other in regards to meteorites - there is a lot of
grey area and opinions will vary. Personally, I really enjoy David
Deyarmin's meteorite spheres. But I loathe these gold-plated iron
slices we are seeing on eBay now. I realize this is a contradiction -
but IMO some end results are more tasteful and respectful than others.

Anything we do to a meteorite, as it's caretaker and handler must never -

1) take away a specimen or alter a specimen that has scientific value
or interest.

2) portray a negative or distasteful image of the specimen or
meteorites as a whole.

3) damage or alter a specimen of historical interest.

Best regards,

MikeG