[meteorite-list] Neither Carbonado Nor Meteorite

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:52:59 GMT

Fred,

I can only say that the lines and surface "looked" like fusion crust from the photos that I received from ebay's seller, "aaaroughy". I communicated with Dr. Haggarty regarding this and he even mentioned to me that there are exceedingly rare carbonado examples that have traces of what "appears" to be a "fusion" crust.

But as you noted it is not, nor can it be a "fusion crust" in the strict sense, but maybe a relic of the environment in which these unique diamonds were formed.

As for your observation regarding carbonate rocks on this very large carbonado, that is a very good observation.

It just so happens is that these carbonados are found in the carbonate beds of both Africa, and South America that date back over 2 billion years.

These diamonds, unlike the terrestrial octahedral crystalline ones, are very porous. In order to conduct his studies, Dr. Haggard had to dissolve the carbonates leaving only the sponge like carbonado remaining. There is no other diamond on earth that has this structure, nor is there any earthy mechanism that can explain the carbonado structure.

I think, though I am not sure, is that the crystalline structure is unique to meteorite diamonds. And if Haggarty's observations of the isotopic content is correct, which I am convinced that it is... Then these are extraterrestrial.

Just look at the nano-diamonds found in many carbonaceous meteorites. I could very well imagine that a huge asteroid had not only nano-diamonds, but larger ones as well, composed of millions of nano-diamonds brought together into a large carbonado.

And these diamonds are tough, harder and more enduring than the "normal" terrestrial ones. As I mentioned previously, they are even used to cut and polish "normal" diamonds. The surface is so hard that they could be washed in gravels for millions of years and not even have a scratch. But the angular ones were made that way by impact, either from the Haggarty's proposed asteroid impactor, or by later actions in the ancient steam beds that deposited them in what would eventually become carbonate rock.

So that said, there is an obvious difference between carbonado and "nomal" diamonds. It will be very interesting to see what other details come out of Dr. Haggarty's work.

The question is out there, meteoriic or not...

But believe me, this ebay seller is offering the real thing when it comes to diamonds. He is a major dealer of diamonds, carbonado's and "nomal" ones, too.

And what he is offering in this action is a real 731 ct. carbonado diamond... Among one of the largest found.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470