[meteorite-list] Earthquake turns out to be an exploding meteorite

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:30:33 GMT

Gosh almighty, we have been having what seems to be a large number of fireballs lately.

I wonder if a "big one" is not headed our way.

And this brings to my mind a terrible nightmare I had when I was 4 years old, in 1955. I was living in Alamogordo at the time, and I asked my Dad, who was a rocket technician at White Sands, about the craters on the moon. He told me that they were most likely caused by meteor impacts. Huge ones.

And I asked him why none on earth then. He told me that there were some, Meteor Crater as just a small one, but if more craters were here they were probably eroded away.

That night, I had a terrible dream that a big one hit, and the night sky turned bright, then red, and in it my Dad ran to the front door, opened it up and said, "Oh my God, it is the end of the world!"

And I woke up screaming.

I never forgot that dream and the conversation that spawned it.

So even today, I look up to the sky, and read these reports with trepidation.

One would think that I would shun meteorites and refrain from collecting them. But my curiosity is too great for that.

But the fear remains, that a "big one" might be headed our way...

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470

[meteorite-list] Earthquake turns out to be an exploding meteorite
Mike Groetz mpg444 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 09:53:38 EDT 2009