[meteorite-list] Holbrook Easter Hunt (80.7g's)

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 23:21:58 -0700

This weekend my father and I hunted Holbrook for an Easter egg hunt.
In fact, we actually saw the Easter Bunny.

Highlights:
I found 34 chondrites for a total of 69.7g's
Photo:http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view?t=ErikTotal.jpg

My dad found 10 chondrites for a total of 11.2g's
Photo:http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view?t=DadTotal.jpg

On the way up to Flagstaff we drove through an area
that had recently received snow. Here is a video
of this strange phenomena(strange to us desert rats).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73iGgfUyPUQ

The weather at Holbrook Saturday was cold, cloudy, windy and
occasionally, rainy/snowy.
Despite the terrible weather we found 2 individuals within
20 feet of each other. My dad's find was a 3.2g individual
with 85% crust and my find was an oriented shield with flow lines
that was a 4.1g individual. We documented our double whammy in
this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsppC_faMg8

An hour or so later I found 20.9g in quite a few
fragments. The largest is 11.1g's. Here is the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9d-phJDQY

After finding an individual I called my dad over to
view my find and while he was fondling the individual
I noticed he had a small complete individual stuck
to his magnet and he didn't even notice! Crazy!

We hunted till about noon with
great success and went back to the truck for a lunch break.
Here is a video of our finds before lunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx98yRvqK3E

Sunday morning, right off the bat, my dad found one very
nice complete individual and he video taped it insitu here
in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEFUusagJEQ

Along with our countless meteorites we also found
several of the raw glass marbles that had been uncovered
by the rain. I also found an old range rifle .32-40 round
that someone had dropped a looonngg time ago.
here are some of the photo's.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view?t=Relics.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view?t=RawGlass.jpg
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/phxerik/?action=view?t=32-40JPG.jpg

We were blown away by the number of finds we made and how gorgeous
they all were. The excitement was incredible. It took forever
to clean and weigh each specimen and we are lucky to have made out
with the number of find that we did.
The strewn field is only 1 mile by half a mile but we walked for
miles and miles in circles and covered almost the entire field!
My feet are throbbing!

Thank you Eric for the support!
Also if anyone would like clearer footage than the crappy YouTube flash format,
we have the original files that I can email to anyone, just email me
at erikfwebb at msn.com if interested.

Enjoy!

[Erik]