[meteorite-list] Black Diamonds: A interesting PBS NOVA article

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:27:21 -0700

Howdy Stirling

    You get nanocrystalline diamond from nitrogen in the source
gases/liquids. This happens because nitrogen will substitute for carbon in
the diamond crystal lattice, but it brings an extra electron with it. The
crystal solves that problem by incorporating a vacancy defect for every
nitrogen defect. Add enough nitrogen and you wind up with diamond that is
loaded with defects and won't grow large, clear crystals - exactly what you
see with carbonadoes. Nitrogen also multiplies the growth rate and the
nucleation density, so the whole thing grows quickly as diamond goes - as
much as mm's per hour. Note that that growth rate most likely discounts
formation in the initial fireball after a large impact. It also doesn't
matter how the diamonds are made - nitrogen will have the same effect.

    Carbonadoes are very cool. They're also maddening, because we've got a
lot of data about them but there are multiple reasonable explanations for
most of their attributes! I'm glad to see all this interest in them, and
I'm pretty confident that someone will "solve" them in my lifetime.

    Now, back to my place at the oars...

Cheers,
MDF

http://www.garai-research.com/research%20statement/carbonado/carbonado-infrar>>