[meteorite-list] Wanted : Micros of the following meteorites

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:36:29 -0500

Hi, Mike, List,

    You have the name of one of your "wanted"
September 29th meteorites wrong. You list
"BENID," and the actual name is BENLD. I wanted
to be sure there was no real BENID meteorite,
a desert location maybe. Googling revealed a lot
of hits on the spelling BENID in surprising places!
(You know who you are.)

    There is NO Benid meteorite. The name of that
little Illinois town where it dropped through the
garage roof and perforated an old Ford from roof
to seat to floor pan, on September 29, 1938 at
9:00 am, is BENLD.

    Rightly you might say, "What the heck is a
Ben L D?" Well, the town started as a roaring
coal mine camp and tent city, grew to foundries
and shacks, then speakeasies, mobsters and
wh***s, and is now a quiet little Midwestern
picture postcard that looks like nobody there
ever was so rambunctious as to even cuss there.

    What is a Ben L D? The town is named (modestly)
after the mine owner that started it -- Ben L. Dorsey,
so -- BENLD. He had another mine and another town
already named "Dorsey," so he used the other end of
his name for this one.

    If you got the name wrong, don't feel bad. The
number of respected and venerated sources of data
that make the same mistake is quite large. Some of
the publications of the Field Museum, who holds
the entire stone, get it wrong!

    Your chances of finding a micro of Benld are close
to zero, I'm afraid. 88 grams at Tempe; 4 grams at the
National Museum; 18.6 grams in the Dupont collection;
and 200 milligrams in the Gifhorn. Main mass at the Field.

Sterling K. Webb