[meteorite-list] Question for type collectors

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:22:04 -0500

Hi Jeff and Michael,

Thank you for the input. I think what I will do is subdivide my type
list into two arbitrary categories - irons and everything else. So I
will treat irons seperately. I will maintain my "petrologic type"
count for stony, stony-iron, and everything else that doesn't fall
under "irons".

I asked all of this because I like to have a record of the various
aspects of my collection - just in case someone asks me questions like
- "How many lunars do you have?" or "How many types do you have?", or
"How many witnessed falls?" , etc.

Plus I am a statistics geek and I like to have everything in my
collection accounted for and broken down to the Nth degree. ;)

I have yet to break down my collection by country - that will come
tonight. I need to do it now while my collection size is still
manageable.

Best regards,

MikeG

Here are some of the revised stats now -

29 witnessed falls, 55 finds - 84 total localities

29 witnessed falls
14 hammer falls (3 hammer stones)

42 petrologic types
  5 iron types - IAB-MG, IIIAB, IVA, IAB-ung, unclassified (Las Palmas)

7 continents
18 USA falls and finds
10 US states - Alabama, Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa,
Kansas, Louisiana, New York, Texas
28 NWA finds

7 planetaries (3 Lunars, 4 Martians, 8 Vestans)

47 specimens <1 gram
27 specimens 1-9 grams
12 specimens 10-99 grams
2 specimens >100 grams