[meteorite-list] Name of Texas Fall: Ash Creek

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:04:12 EDT

Chris,

If I write a scientific paper, I will call it Ash Creek. For commercial
purposes, if it isn't illegal, I will keep calling it West.

After all, that is the purpose of having synonyms is so that you can call
things by other names, right?

There will be no confusion to me. I don't think anyone else in the
community will be confused. Anyone that says "Ash Creek" we will know what they
are saying. Anyone that uses the "West" name, we will know what they are
saying as well. Just like if they say it is from the "United States" or they
say it is from "America."

I agree with Mark that some meteorites that have already been sold with
the name "West" might get "lost" in the TKW tallies. Some collections
(public and private) will have "West" on their labels instead of "Ash Creek."
But 75 years from now, it will be just as easy to sort out as "Toluca" on a
Glen Huss label is from "Xiquipilco" on a Nininger label... they are the
same rock.

The only confusion will probably be in the collector market, and I don't
think the NomCom cares all that much about the collector market, or that the
name "West" has been used in all the media references up until now. Just
Google Search "West Meteorite" then search "Ash Creek Meteorite." If they
did care, the official name would have been assigned within a few days and
this minor confusion would have easily been avoided. Their priority is for
the scientific side of things, not the pop culture side of things.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated 4/16/2009 11:33:08 A.M. Central Daylight Time,