[meteorite-list] Best institutional tektite collections?

From: Aubrey Whymark <tektites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:46:48 +0800

Hi List

I started some museum pages on my website a while back, it would be
great to add to these museums if anyone has photos of tektite
collections. www.tektites.co.uk/museums

The British Museum of Natural History currently has a very poor
display, bar a few nice Ivory Coast tektites. I believe this may
improve in the future.

The French Natural History Museum sadly has no tektites on display,
despite the work by Lacroix.

I believe the Czech Natural History Museum has a good display, but I
have no more information.

In Australia I guess there are a number of excellent displays -
Certainly a good display is found in the Western Australian Museum.

In the US I have little information - if you have some info and photos
of tektite displays you can email me at aubrey at tektites.co.uk for
inclusion in my webpage. I have learnt that Virgil Barnes donated his
collection to the Texas Memorial Museum

In the Philippines I believe there are no displays. There used to be
one at the Planetarium, but that was under renovation, and I believe
still is. No idea if tektites will be back on display there when it
opens again.

Regards, Aubrey
www.tektites.co.uk