[meteorite-list] GPS

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:45:34 -0600

Hi Mike-

I lean towards the opinion that using one GPS for both just compromises both
functions, and doesn't, in the end, make anything simpler.

Automotive GPS units are optimized for a large display, a specialized
antenna, street-level maps, and road-oriented navigation. Hiking GPS units
are optimized for battery life, light weight, track and waypoint storage,
and topographic map display.

Excellent units of both types (I prefer Garmin for all types of GPS) are
available well within your price range. I've never seen a single unit
capable of both that was really comfortable for either.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com