[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Asteroids - History Channel Tonight!

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:00:16 -0700

Dear Listees:

I'd like to invite those of you in North American to tune in to the
History Channel tonight for the "Asteroids" episode of "How The Earth
Was Made." Really, we only just now found out it's going to be on : )

My friends and associates Lisa Morrison and Leigh Anne DelRay filmed a
segment with me, for this show, back in July of last year. It was
quite an entertaining couple of days. Our crew were over from London
working on the series and they sent me a shooting schedule which had
us doing interiors in the morning, and then driving into the desert
north of Tucson, in the early afternoon, for a meteorite hunting demo.

I gave the director a call and said: "You guys have never been here in
July before, right?" They had not, so I explained that "Exterior
shots, early afternoon" would involve carrying a lot of gear around in
temperatures that would likely be between 105 and 110F. It's kinda
rough on the locals, even, and I was afraid a London-based team might
expire out there in the boonies, and that would leave me with an awful
lot of paperwork : ) So with just a little encouragement, they
kindly changed the shoot around, did the exteriors in the early
morhing, then came back to the Aerolite offices for interviews.

They were a really fun crew to work with, and after filming with us
were headed up to Meteor Crater to do a bit with Dr. Kring, and then
on to Sudbury. We haven't seen the show yet, so have no idea how much
meteorite stuff made it in to the final cut, but we'll for sure be
watching tonight. I hope you enjoy it.

Details:

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=428120

"These giant mountain-sized boulders from space have wrought death and
destruction throughout the millennia but until recently geologists
could find no evidence that they had actually struck the earth. Follow
the remarkable detective story that begins at Meteor Crater in Arizona
as mining engineers desperately try to unearth the billion dollar iron
boulder they thought was lying there. It's a detective story that also
uncovers immense riches; the world's biggest nickel deposit in
Sudbury, Canada, vast oil reserves in the Gulf of Mexico and a gold
mine in South Africa--all the result of asteroid impacts. Evidence is
also unearthed of violent impacts that decimated some of the first
people to live in America. What clues do asteroids, and their smaller
cousins, meteorites, hold in the formation of the early Earth and
perhaps life itself?"

Rating: TVPG

Running Time: 60 minutes

Regards,